Monday, November 12, 2012

Miracle Train


Genre: Romance
Age Appropriate: Pre-teen/Teen
Emotional Response: girlish giggles
Notable Features: handsome guys, subway train, side commentating dog
Language: Japanese
Length: 1 season, 13 episodes
Overall Recommendation: YAY

"Will you fall in love with a train station?" - Narrator

The Miracle Train is a subway train that only allows lost women in trouble on, and the stations attempt to solve their problems. This special train has 6 special stations on board. These stations are personified by handome men of every type: from bad boy to serious straight-lace type. The stations are actual stations on the Oedo Line, with each of the women getting on the station that is feature in the current episode. It is that particular station that will be key in solving her problem, although the others will often be helpful.

Each of the guys has certain characteristics that reflect the station that they represent. Tacho (serious type) Station is the location for the municipal building, where people get their passports and licenses. One of the stations also likes to cook on the train car, because his station is known for it's restaurants. In one early episode, it's also discovered that there are different stations on different lines that have different Miracle Trains (one station has brothers that show up).

There are a few other satellite characters: a masked conductor, a young girl-guide in pink, and a commentary making black dog (that no one but the audience can hear). The show also gives a decent amount of trivia throughout the season, either through signs or asides. There is an end segment per episode also. It usually features one random station and which ever station was the focus of that episode, and gives station specific trivia. These end segment characters are animated pretend hand puppets - think Harry Potter Puppet Pals. It makes the series a little more valuable than just a chance to giggle.

------

Can I just say that I want to get on the Miracle Train? Also, Tokugawa (the dog) is the cutest, funniest dog character in existence. Don't get me wrong, the guys are hothothot (depending on your type) but there is just something about the dog that makes me smile. His general annoyed insight is epic. He's also adorable. I want a dog just like him one day. (I admit it, Roppongi station is my favorite.)

The storyline is pretty basic and predictable. There really nothing special about it, but really, this isn't a series to watch if you're looking to get any meaning out of it. It's pure fluff - in a good way. Every episode has some sort of touchy-feely message, and they're mostly about being true to yourself. I really did just like it for the smiles that it gave me. Least emotionally, psychologically stressful anime in existence. One of my favorite things? Oedo Line trivia and their general explanations about subway procedures. I now know a whole lot more about Japanese transit that I ever thought I would. From the absolute minimum fact checking I did, it seemed fairly accurate. It was actually fun to look up the Oedo Line on the internet to see where the stations are in the city.

Quirks and cuteness about in this series and I loved every minute of it. The different guy characters all have funny flaws with their personalities. There is no inappropriate anything, so really anyone could watch it. The real question is more about who would be interested. I listed it as Pre-Teen/Teen just because I figured someone younger either wouldn't get it, or wouldn't really care. I don't have many girly-girl moments or tastes usually, but I turned into a giggly teenager with this one. And for once, they weren't high school boys. Granted, they're train stations but you can't get everything. I would watch it again, especially the next time I find some draining anime to watch. It's like dessert. Go ahead, watch it. I dare you.

------

All aboard!: Jyo-Oh-Sei

No comments:

Post a Comment