Monday, February 25, 2013

Shattered Angels

Genre: Sci-Fi
Age Appropriate: High school+
Emotional Response: ugh
Notable Features: "angels" (AI), high school girl, giant magical-like robot representations
Language: English
Length: 1 season, 12 episodes
Overall Recommendation: Not so much

"Let's go. Together." - The Prince

Ku is a young high school girl who is in love with the "Prince" from her dreams. She seems like a typical girl with a romantic daydream life. She attends a school in the educational community of Acaemia. She has a friend who appears for the first two episodes, and they're both in love with the school's Morality Squad, good looking students in charge of keeping order in the school. All of the girls swoon over this group, and more so when a transfer student joins their ranks for another school nearby.
Ayanokoji is the new girl-crush worthy transfer student. He reminds Ku a lot like her dream prince.

Within the first two episodes of the series, she becomes mixed up in a battle between groups with Absolute Angels - at the center of which is Ayanokoji, who is desperate to follow in his brother's footsteps. The Absolute Angels are AI developed for war, after years of research. These angels fuel themselves with the energy of humans, through kissing. There are only four main Absolute Angels, specifically attached to one person each. Setsuna, a young looking lady in a maid outfit is attached to Ayanokoji, and is helplessly devoted to him - despite his desire to end all Absolute Angels.

As Ku learns about the story, step by step, she begins to see underneath the surface what she's first told about the situation. She starts to question the things going around her. The story follows her discoveries and the relationship between Ayanokoji, his brother, and the Absolute Angels. Underneath it all, there is a bit of a love story for each angel.

-----

This series was completely irritating. I suppose it would be more fair to say that Ku is super irritating. Every episode opens with her letters to her prince, and they're stupid drivel composed by an introverted teenage girl who lives in her own fantasyland. The biggest problem is that that is exactly what she is. I don't think the anime was done wrong, I just want to punch her character in the face sometimes. Ayanokoji is kind of a tool, but only made worse by Ku's swooning girl-crush love for him. I was also irritated by his treatment of his angel.

On top of it all, underneath all of the stupid highschool girl stuff, some of this is messed up.The angels also manifest their power as robot things that remind me of Power Ranger animal/robot things. After I thought it the first time, I couldn't get forget it. Maybe it's the mini-feminist in me that is bothered by the whole series. I don't usually think of myself that way, but aside from the asinine, irritating dialogue, I guess I really was bothered by the whole thing. It reminded me of Twilight. I admit, near the end my heart went a little pitter patter, and I got the sniffles, but it couldn't completely erase the full series. I guess, I would only really recommend it if you're a Twilight fan - despite the lack of vampires and werewolves.

-----

Keep it movin', mister.: Pretear


No comments:

Post a Comment