Friday, August 2, 2013

Kanememo

Genre: Comedy
Age Appropriate: Older Teens/Adult
Emotional Response: A mix between awww and seriously?
Notable Features: girls, yuri, adult content
Language: Japanese
Length: 1 Season, 13 episodes 
Overall Recommendation: Not so much

"But if it were hamster aliens..." - Kana

When Kana's grandmother dies, she jumps to the wild conclusion that she will be taken away with her grandmother's things when the movers come. Her response is to pack everything she can into her backpack and run away from home. After wandering the streets for awhile, she doubles back to a strange newspaper, with strange employees, and takes a job as a newspaper girl. The position doesn't offer much in pay, but does offer room and board. The assistant chief, or "Chief," is a grade schooler with a strong arm and a secretly soft heart. She allows Kana to work there after hearing she has no family, despite being underage for working without permission.

The other employees are comprised of four other young ladies, all significantly older than Kana (around college age). Two of the young ladies are in a odd, yet loving, relationship - with one being a bit obsessed. The third is a bit tomboy-ish but lots of fun. The fourth is a creepy moe pervert obsessed with getting her hands on Kana and/or the boss. Frequently, their shenanigans lead to a pay cut. Combined with her school friends, a competitive newspaper girl from another store, and her memories of her grandmother, Kana navigates her new independent life while learning a wide variety of life lessons.

-----

Kanamemo was a mix of funny and disturbing. There was a lot of potential in the beginning. I
particularly enjoyed Kana's strange moment of obsession with hamster aliens. While I enjoyed it at the beginning, mostly by ignoring the wierd parts, eventually the story just got kind of old. At least, what there was of a story. I tried to ignore the pervy, pedophilic Haru, and was successful for the most part, but there were times when I just wanted to punch her in the head - much like the other girls would do. It's not so much the perviness as the creepy choice of girls.

At first, I did think I was going to like it. Unfortunately, there was nothing in the story except the minor plots per episode. I can definitely appreciate a coming-of-age story, but there is usually come sort of conflict/resolution part of a story, and this seemed to be missing everything. Maybe it would've been different if the show was longer than 13 episodes. I guess, I wasn't that impressed. The final episode was really cute, so I'm glad I suffered through it so I didn't feel like it was a total wash. I don't think I would stop someone from watching it - and while the characters are a bit tasteless, all nudity is covered by funny censor bubble animals - I just wouldn't recommend it to someone.

-----

Eeeee!: Maid Sama

No comments:

Post a Comment