Thursday, September 5, 2013

You and Me

Genre: Coming of Age?
Age Appropriate: Preteens
Emotional Response: mix of bored and entertained
Notable Features: high schoolers, typical situations
Language: Japanese
Length: 2 Seasons, 25 episodes 
Overall Recommendation: Okay, I guess

"I just want to sleep at night." - Yuki

You and Me is a slice-of-life type story that follows the life of 5 high school guys. Kaname is more serious, Shun is a little girly and sweet. Yuta is motherly and his twin, Yuki, is lazy. The four young boys grew up together, and added into the mix is Chizuru, a transfer student. He met the twins at two different points in earlier years, but didn't realize the connection until now. There are a couple of minor characters that pop up every once in awhile, but the focus is really on the relationships between the 5 boys.

The story doesn't have any particular drama or comedy. It's just a series of "day in the life," episodes, that occasionally have an interesting episode-only plot. The twins are pretty attached at the hip. There is a young girl who is in love with Shun, but is the secret object of affection of Chizuru, and Kaname's mother has a strange level of love for her son. Really, the storyline reflects their first two years in high school, and the little events that effect their lives.

----

As long as this series is, there isn't anything much to it. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I don't know that I would actually recommend it to someone unless they were very specifically looking for something like it. I appreciated season one more, it seemed to have better pacing, but season two dragged a bit. I ended up pulling myself through the end of the series just to finish. It was a cute series, though. I wish it would've had a little more depth, but it wasn't horrible or anything. I might have liked it more if I were really in the mood for chill at the time, but I think it was a little too chill. Overall, the best word I can think of to describe it would be sweet. There were some cute parts, and some funny parts, but overall it was just okay.

-----

Errr: B Gata H Kei

No comments:

Post a Comment