Thursday, October 3, 2013

Aoi Sekai no Chushin de

Genre: Adventure
Age Appropriate: Teens
Emotional Response: well, that kinda sucks
Notable Features: video game references
Language: Japanese
Length: 3 episodes
Overall Recommendation: Decent

"...you've been defeated by a pervert with dirty jokes." - Tejirof

In the world of Console Wars, the two countries Segua and Ninteldo are in constant conflict. The story follows a new recruit who has finally come down from his mountain hiding place, with his sister. Gear is a young man who shows incredible strength and speed. In a test with the general, Ramses, he defeats the 50 best army members in the room when he arrives. Travelling with him is his younger "sister," Nel. She eventually discovers some interesting skills of her own. Gear, and Nel, become members of the Special Forces. They're joined by Opal, a skillful archer, and the mercenary Tejirof. Tejirof comes from the same school as the general, and agrees to train the new kids in the four days prior to their first mission. Their mission is to save General Alex, the Segua hero who has been captured by the enemy. With the pervy Teijrof's instructions, each character learns new skills and embark on their mission with a little more confidence. 

-----

It's hard to write a synopsis without giving too much away when the series is only 3 episodes long. There was a little room for more episodes later, maybe, but they probably wouldn't be necessary. All in all, it was pretty decent. I enjoyed the episodes that there were, but I feel like I missed out on a lot by not being as obsessed with old school video games. I think my older brother probably would've gotten a lot more out of the references. Some of them were really easy to see - Gear = Sonic! - and others I didn't understand until I did a little research.

I think this has some potential if they decide to expand, but I won't be looking for it. I think Tejirof was probably the highlight for me. Every naughty thing he says is terrible, but a few moments later he's describe what he actually meant, and it's not dirty at all. It's like playing that Dirty Minds game. He knows that he's doing, though. It's the best comic relief available. Otherwise, some of it is just plain sad, emotionally. I would recommend this to people that I think would enjoy figuring out the references, or maybe people who want something super short (like a car ride or something), but it's not the best thing out there.

-----

Zoom: Legend of Legendary Heroes

No comments:

Post a Comment