Thursday, June 6, 2013

Time of Eve

Genre: Sci-Fi
Age Appropriate: Any Age
Emotional Response: Huh
Notable Features: androids, human conditions
Language: Japanese
Length: 6 episodes
Overall Recommendation: Not for me

"Just follow the rule." - Nagi

Time of Eve centers around a high school age boy living in a futuristic world where humanoid-androids are house servents and workers as a normal part of everyday society. The news talks about different issues in the background of episodes and often hits on social aspects per episode. One of the major themes is the relationship between humans and androids, both negative and positive. Those humans moving toward the side of androids being considered more human are even called android-holics.

Rikuo, the main protagonist, follows his android one day, after discovering an interesting anomoly in her travel log. He, and his friend, Masaki, find themselves inside a coffee house where the rule is no discrimination between humans and androids. While in the outside world androids have rings floating above their heads to signify their status, inside the cafe no one has any identifiers. The boys find the whole process very controversial, and find themselves learning more each time they arrive.
Each character finds a different path in their understanding of android/human, human/human, and android/android relationships.

-----

Time of Eve feels like a mix of AI and I, Robot. Partially because of the human characteristics given to androids, and partially because of the result of those characteristics. It was a truly intriguing series, but I'm also glad it was short. I found myself struggling to watch multiple episodes in a row. I think, perhaps I would've been more likely to watch this for someone else. I don't think I would've chosen to continue it for my own personal interest in a regular situation. Or, maybe I just wasn't in the mood for it. I can think of a few of my friends, who are more sociologically inclined, that would really enjoy the commentary present about the human condition combined with technological morality issues. It was done really well, but it just wasn't my particular cup of tea (pun not intended, but why not?). I guess, the only disappointing thing that I found, in general, is that the ending was a little lame, but I should've expect much out of a 6 episode series.

Given the brevity of the series, it's a pretty short review. If you liked AI and I, Robot - or any similar movie/series - then I would definitely recommend this. If you didn't really care about them, then I wouldn't recommend it.

-----

Order Up!: High School DxD

No comments:

Post a Comment