Thursday, July 11, 2013

Special A

Genre: Comedy/Romance
Age Appropriate: Pre-teens+
Emotional Response: sweet, cute, funny
Notable Features: high school, overachievers, oblivious love
Language: Japanese
Length: 2 seasons, 24 episodes
Overall Recommendation: Pretty Good

"I'm here to formally challenge you!" - Hikari

Hikari Hanazono is an excitable, competitive overachiever obsessed with being number one in any rankings. It's less that she wants to be number one, but more the fact that she wants to beat Kei Takashima. Her rivalry with him began years ago as children when he first beat her at wrestling, and has only grown now that they're in high school. As part of the Special A class at their prestigious academy, they have access to a fancy greenhouse, nice uniforms, and perks for being at the top of the school.

Special A class is comprised for the top 7 students in the school. They are always the same seven students: #1 - Kei Takashima (Hikari's rival and heir to the Takashima Group), #2 - Hikari Hanazono (daughter of a carpenter), #3 - Jun Yamamoto (twin to Megumi, famous traveling parents), #4 - Megumi Yamamoto (twin to Jun, refuses to speak), #5 - Tadashi Karino (Addicted to sweets, son of school's chairman), #6 - Akira Toudou (obsessed with tea time and Hikari), #7 - Ryuu Tsuki (close with the twins, animal whisperer).

These seven make an unbreakable bond based on being in Special A class, but that actually extends into great escapades in each episode. As the story progresses, so do their relationships - both in friendship and romance. Special A is a pseudo-typical high school drama but with high class, overachieving students and appropriate situations to their status. Hikari, being the odd one out in status, creates the most havoc with her outlandish behavior and brings the group together often in her schemes to compete with Kei.

-----

Special A was pretty good. I had no problem watching it all the way through, and it was definitely a feel-good series that I would normally like. It was just so cute, and amusing. I didn't have any laugh out loud moments, but I think that was just fine for this series. I really enjoyed the budding relationships between the friends, but I was a little frustrated with how the relationship between Kei and Hikari progressed. I totally understand that there is no instant gratification in a series when it comes to main characters realizing feelings, but still! Upon reflection, I don't think I had a specific favorite character, although I did enjoyed the episode with Sui (Kei's little brother).

Special A is a great series for anyone to watch. I only gave it a pre-teen+ rating based on interest level. I'm definitely glad that I took the time to watch it. I had no problem moving through each episode, but also didn't feel an awful compulsion to get through every single one in one sitting. It was just nice. It's a good anime to watch when you're just looking to relax with something non-stressful, and without purpose. I recommend it.

-----

Okey Dokey: Starry Sky

No comments:

Post a Comment