Thursday, July 18, 2013

Starry Sky

Genre: Drama
Age Appropriate: Teens
Emotional Response: Eh? - confused and a little depressed
Notable Features: high school, science, coming-of-age
Language: Japanese
Length: 26 episodes (shorts)
Overall Recommendation: Not so much


"Sora Sora is scary!" - Tsubasa

Starry Sky revolves around a group of students at space/astronomy-based Seigetsu Academy. Seigetsu Academy is a previously all-male school that has recently open admission to female students, though there is currently only one new female student attending - Tsukiko Yahisa. She becomes one of the subtle running connections between the other students, and their episodes.

Every two episodes has a new character focus. The general theme is the back story on how each character meets and interacts with the others in their story, with a little more character development and plot revealed each time. Each character is designated by an astrological sign, making the paired episodes Part 1 and Part 2. The paired episodes include flashbacks for one episode and a present day partner that shows personal growth through different insecurities, often with the help of the acceptance of their friends, old and new. 

-----


Starry Sky was a bit bland. There was no actual story involved, and it didn't work for me. It seems like one of the connecting points was supposed to be that everyone falls a little bit in love with Tsukiko, which is fine I guess, but really had no bearing on anything. There seemed to be some potential for real stories but everything was cut off too soon for any real development, and therefore any real emotional investment. 

Since each episode was only 11 minutes long, perhaps the series would've benefitted from full length episodes. I'm not sure what I really wanted out of the series, but I know I didn't really get anything from it. There were some nice moments, so I don't think it was a complete and total waste of my time, but I just feel unsatisfied. I don't even understand the point of the final two episodes and the character added. I do understand that this is an adaptation from a visual novel/video game relationship sim type deal, but I've seen many anime that have that type of beginning that this didn't really make any sense. Basically, I'm baffled and a little irritated. 

-----

And then there was one: Is This a Zombie?


No comments:

Post a Comment