Sunday, February 16, 2014

Anime Milwaukee (AMKE)

Genre: Awesome
Age Appropriate: Awesome people
Emotional Response: Awesome (and tiring)
Notable Features: Awesome - Voice Actors are cool
Language: Awesome
Length: 2ish days
Overall Recommendation: You're so jealous

AMKE was awesome. I'll admit that I was a little unsure about how it was going to go on Friday night. To be fair, however, I'd just finished a full day of work after waking up extra early to travel from Green Bay to Sheboygan in time to get there. When we got to the convention, it was a mess of check-ins and hotel elevators. The highlight of the night ended up being Cards Against Humanity with Guests. There were little groups of people everywhere doing their best to get the guest judges to love their impropriety. We stayed until the end (at 2am) and skipped everything else. I'm too old to stay up that long. 

Saturday was total win. Mostly, my day was spent standing in line to get into the autograph sessions. I had two major goals, with everyone else being bonus. I barely made it into the room before they cut the line off, but I made it. SCORE. My goals: Bryce Papenbrook and Patrick Seitz. Through sheer luck of walking through the line, I also scored autographs from Tiffany Grants, Kyle Herbert, Ian Sinclair and David Vincent. 

Funny story: Through a various amount of folly, I had nothing spectacular to have actors sign, so I grabbed the phone pad from the hotel room. Turned out to be a pretty great idea! While I did buy photos from Kyle and Bryce, Tiffany made my day with a multi-colored note about the dialing instructions blurb on the bottom of the paper. 

Also, Ian Sinclair thinks it would be awesome to married to a woman who wants to go to a Con for her birthday. Heh, my husband is awesome, right?

We discovered that going to the panels with professionals was definitely the way to go. The few times we stepped into rooms with others we weren't super impressed, but we enjoyed every moment we were around the actual voice actors. I'm so happy we made it this year!

Despite the good time I had, and the ridiculous amount of money I spent on useless fun stuff, I think Bryce Papenbrook made my Saturday night. My husband and I were super exhausted after the whole day, and I hurt my ankle Friday morning so I wasn't in the mood for more walking. I forced us to go back to the convention hall to see the last episode of Sword Art Online (with Bryce) to end out night and in the end I got to be in an interesting group photo, hand Bryce my business card (the only one I parted with, haha!) and get an excellent set of pictures of us (courtesy of burst photo). He was so nice and indulgent, both with myself and the other geeks in attendance. 

It's Saturday night, and I really wanted to give a good report! I'm pretty much flying high on a good night and lack of sleep. There were probably a few things that I would do differently, and next year I'll know better what to expect. Overall, it's been a good first experience. Tomorrow will simply being more shopping and shopping and shopping. Plus, some shopping. If I happen to stick around long enough, I might hunt down Ian Sinclair and have him sign my 3DS XL case. He was playing with his at the Jamie Marchi panel and we all got him in our Mii Plazas. Fun stuff, yo. 

Overall, pretty damn fun. I'm going to go watch SAO, again and review it via the English version. I've seen it, of course, but I didn't review it a second time. You'll just have to suffer through it when I write it up again. Awesome. 

-----

Back again: I couldn't become a hero...

No comments:

Post a Comment