Thursday, February 27, 2014

Cosplay Complex

Genre: Comedy
Age Appropriate: Older teen+
Emotional Response: Kinda funny
Notable Features: cosplay and dirty jokes
Language: Japanese
Length: 3 episodes
Overall Recommendation: Not so much

"Well, doesn't it look like I'm making love to the cameraman? "-Ranko

Cosplay Complex is a short series of only 3 episodes. They focus on a small school group of girls (and one guy) who are interested in cosplay - particularly in cosplay competitions. The primary character, Chako, is a bit of a spaz and has a strange relationship with a strange fairy (and an owl?) who can magically become any outfit needed - provided her dear friend is willing to pay her in tasty treats. Despite the cosplay premise, the series is generally a comedy with a wealth of dirty jokes and fan service. The various members of the cosplay club all have outrageous personalities, that are highly focused on absurdity.

-----

Um, I can't really say much positive about this series. The jokes are okay, I suppose. I got a few giggles in there, but otherwise I wasn't super impressed. It certainly wasn't the worst anime I've seen, but I wouldn't recommend it. Well, that's not entirely true. If someone asked me for an anime that was pretty stupid and maybe funny, this one would be on the list. I think the owl was probably my favorite character, although the younger girl, Athena, is pretty darn cute. So, yeah, not exactly a productive use of anime viewing time.

-----

Something different: Diabolik Lovers

No comments:

Post a Comment