Monday, May 13, 2013

We Without Wings

Genre: Comedy/Drama
Age Appropriate: Adult
Emotional Response: So. Confused.
Notable Features: Fan Service, MPD, alternate universes - maybe, kinda
Language: Japanese
Length: 1 season, 12 episodes
Overall Recommendation: Pretty Good

"May peace prevail in the world" - A number of male characters

We Without Wings has an extensive cast that seems to go through a complicated "normal" life, with little romances and day-to-day happenings. The complications all seem to surround four young men, all who seem to have a very cool demeanor - except for the one dorky/pervy, yet decent, guy. There is an extra wildly inappropriate bartender, and a bevy of busty girls in the bar - who all get eyebrow-wiggling attention. There are also a number of younger ladies who follow one of the guys around with starry-eyes love in their eyes. At the bottom of the totem pole is an adorable young girl, Alice, who seems to have little ability with the Japanese language, and can't seem to keep herself from trying to make one of the guys from sounding like a pervert - though, in reality, he's not.

Aside from the funny interpersonal relationships, there is a secret story hidden behind everything. There are two little gangs running around beating their chests at each other. Everything changes when one of the peons brings a gun to a fist fight. Then, there may be another universe for some of the characters, but it's fairly unclear in the beginning if it's real, or an internal fantasy. Then again, it seems to maybe include more than just one character. The series quickly turns into a maze of questions to be unraveled.

----

We Without Wings started out hilarious. I don't know how many times I ended up laughing out loud (literally). I was almost in tears within the first episode. Then, it got kinda weird. Probably because of the description, I expected something a little more "normal." It was anything but normal. I didn't really get let in on the big secret until episode 7. I guess that's pretty normal timing for a short series, but I was brain-hurting confused by then. This wasn't weird/creepy like Amnesia, just head spinning. Obviously, I eventually figured out what was going on. I'm glad that I wasn't going insane, but it was a little bit depressing when you figure out the answers.

Generally, I think the fact that I cared was a pretty good indicator that the creators did a good job. There were some good funny bits thrown in with the confusion - probably saving my mind and motivating me to keep with it. There was also a LOT of girl shots. Everything was creatively blocked by censorship tape, or steam, but it was definitely adult in nature. I wouldn't let any kiddies watch this one, and I certainly wouldn't watch it with my parents. I made the "Adult" part green because it's not messed up like Rin or Elfen Lied, it's just sexual. I think Girls Bravo could be sort of considered worse because it was uncensored nudity, but it was so incidental in nature that it wasn't a big deal. This was not incidental at all. Either way you look at it, definitely not for youngsters. Overall, I though it was pretty good. I would probably recommend it to people, but carefully considering the relationship I have with that person.
----

Fly Away: Listen to me girls. I'm your father. (At least, that's what I found it named as...)

No comments:

Post a Comment